Almost everyone suffers from dry skin at some point in their lives, and at Dermatology Consultants of South Florida, we can help you establish a good skincare regimen to help you retain healthy, supple skin for years to come.
Serving Coral Springs and surrounding areas in Florida, Dermatology Consultants of South Florida is led by our expert medical team of dermatologists who can treat a wide range skin conditions, including dry skin. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and find out how to help keep your skin nourished and healthy.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Although your skin is the body’s first line of defense against outside elements, there are many factors that can cause it to become dry, flaky and itchy, such as:
- Cold weather: A drop in the temperature outside and a decrease in air humidity causes many patients to experience dry, itchy skin during colder months
- Hot showers: A hot shower may feel good at the end of a long day or may be your preferred way to start the day, but studies by skincare experts show that the longer you spend in hot, steamy showers, the more you dry out your skin by eliminating its natural oils.
- Moisture-robbing soaps: Not all bar soaps are created equally, and our medical team can help you find a type and brand that best fits your skincare needs without compromising your skin’s moisture retention.
There are also certain types of clothing, products, and underlying medical conditions that can also cause dry skin. During your consultation with our medical team, we can discuss what’s causing your dry skin and help you develop a proven skincare regimen.
Why Treat Dry Skin?
Although dry skin by itself is not necessarily a cause for dermatological concern, having areas that are constantly dry and itchy can lead to discomfort and excessive scratching, which in turn can potentially lead to open spots and infections. Establishing a daily and nightly skincare regimen that is directed by a physician can not only protect it from the elements, it can also help ensure a lifetime of smooth, healthy, naturally radiant skin.
How is Dry Skin Treated?
Using milder soaps and knowing how your skin retains and loses moisture can help you combat dry skin. Some common advice we give to our patients is to:
- Patting your skin dry after bathing instead of vigorously toweling off
- Not waiting after a shower or bath to dry off, as this gives the water in your skin cells more time to evaporate
- Using mild soaps and high-quality moisturizers
Dry skin differs in severity, and our medical team will help you choose the solutions that work best for you.
Contact Dermatology Consultants of South Florida today to schedule a consultation and find out how to manage your dry, itchy, or flaking skin.